ClustrMaps

Pages

Midnight with My Diary and My Water Bottle

Midnight with My Diary and My Water Bottle
Taken at Goodale Park, June 2010, during Comfest, by Scott Robinson (1963-2013)

Search This Blog

Continued From Blog on LiveJournal

For entries prior to April 2010, please go to http://aspergerspoet.livejournal.com and read there. Nothing has changed about this blog except its hosting site.

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas Day

After the gifts are exchanged, Christmas is a pretty dull day, unless you're a sports fan.  (If you are, there's no shortage of college and pro football games on TV to watch.)  I'm typing right now as a way to pass the time between now and 11:30, when Steve, Susie, and I go to see Santa Claus Conquers the Martians at the Grandview Theater.  (It's the third installment of Nite Owl Theater's return; those of you in the Columbus area head to Grandview tonight!)

Susie fared quite well this Christmas--a generous assortment of clothes, books, gift cards, and videos.  (She was ecstatic to receive a DVD of Despicable Me, a movie that had her in stitches.  She was very thankful that it wasn't Marmaduke, a movie she disliked when she saw it.)  She also doesn't have to worry about running out of socks or underwear anytime soon.

I received two long-sleeved pullover shirts--much needed.  I ordered a jewelry box for Steph from Amazon.com, and breathed a huge sigh of relief when FedEx delivered it before Christmas.  She loved it; it's now on her vanity awaiting her earrings, bracelets, and necklaces.  The slippers and perfume I bought Steph were local purchases, so they were under our Charlie Brown Christmas tree the entire time.

Susie absolutely loved the paperback Photonovel of "The Trouble with Tribbles," a second-season episode of the original Star Trek.  (That was the first episode she ever saw, my way of gently introducing her to the wide world of the United Federation of Planets.)  I remember religiously buying Star Trek Photonovels (although Bantam Books always spelled it Fotonovel) at People's News and Books in Marietta as they were published.  (Photonovels were the cusp between comic books and home video.  They were essentially comic books that used stills from movies or TV episodes in lieu of artists' drawings.  I had almost forgotten about them until someone on the Star Trek Wiki mentioned them in passing.  I remember buying the first one, "The City on the Edge of Forever," when it was issued, and being disappointed that the series stopped after only 12 installments.  (The last one I bought was the badly produced black and white edition of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan at Million Year Picnic just off Harvard Square when I lived in Boston.)

I ventured outdoors to buy iced tea for Steph and some Diet Pepsi for myself, and the streets are almost deserted today.  I remember glancing south toward downtown, and, except for some cars passing back and forth on E. 5th Ave., you'd think that Civil Defense had ordered the evacuation of Columbus.  (I was going to buy Miracle Whip and milk at Kroger, but I'm glad I had the foresight to call ahead to see if they'd be open; they weren't.)  I went to one of the little corner markets, but you need a bank loan to pay for anything other than pop in these stores, so the Miracle Whip and the milk can keep until tomorrow.)

A friend gave us a giant ham for Christmas, and we'll be having soup with ham, and ham sandwiches, for quite awhile.  I was going out to buy Miracle Whip to go with the sandwiches, but the sticker shock made me decide that I can have ham sandwiches with mustard until tomorrow.

Merry Christmas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment