ClustrMaps

Pages

Midnight with My Diary and My Water Bottle

Midnight with My Diary and My Water Bottle
Taken at Goodale Park, June 2010, during Comfest, by Scott Robinson (1963-2013)

Search This Blog

Continued From Blog on LiveJournal

For entries prior to April 2010, please go to http://aspergerspoet.livejournal.com and read there. Nothing has changed about this blog except its hosting site.

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Super Bowl Malaise Hit Me Today

I didn't watch Super Bowl XLV, and never had any intention of doing so.  I blissfully ignored all the football talk at work, never let my eyes settle on all the various Tweets and Facebook postings cheering on either Pittsburgh or Green Bay, and avoided Kroger like mad, figuring it'd be as chaotic as before a blizzard.

A sure sign of aging is when sloth surpasses lust as your most favorite of the Seven Deadly Sins.  Wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy, and gluttony comprise the list (I still had to look that up, despite Se7en being one of my favorite movies), and today was the day to yield to sloth.  I didn't indulge in too much gluttony, although I thoroughly enjoyed the tacos Steph and I ate in the afternoon while Susie was at Youth Group.

Susie and I did go to church, but my mental and physical energy seemed to tank afterwards.  Even though there was no Diet Pepsi in the house, there was no way I was going to brave the pre-game crowd at Kroger stocking up on cases of beer and big bags of Doritos and potato chips.  Instead, I spent most of the afternoon on the couch watching USA's Law and Order: Special Victims Unit marathon, until long after Susie was home from Youth Group, even into when she went to the playground late in the afternoon and came home just before dark.

This kept me from tuning up my pen to ridicule the millions of Americans who were captive in front of the TV (Harlan Ellison wrote two books of television columns which he aptly titled The Glass Teat and The Other Glass Teat--very appropriate).  I spent the afternoon and into the evening watching crime dramas--although the distinction between the sports page and the crime report blurs more with each passing year.

No comments:

Post a Comment